Hello everyone, I hope you have had a lovely week.
I actually have been sick for few days…Winter flu…It’s really horrible. Anyway, when I am sick, all I want to eat is vegetables, vegetables and more vegetables. I found the fennel bulb in my fridge and some other vegetables. Here is what I came up with.
I will keep this post short since I am still a little bit dizzy. What I did was that I roasted the fennel wedges with soy sauce and olive oil for 30 minutes until it’s caramelized. I found it tastes better in this way.
You will see I used a mixture of short grain rice and black rice in this recipe because my husband does not like black rice much. However, I really love black rice. So I added some shot grain rice to make the texture softer than just black rice. You can also replace the chick stock with vegetable stock. In that way, it will become a complete vegetarian dish. 🙂
- Fennel bulb – 1
- Large Portobello mushrooms -2, chopped
- Red capsicums – 2, diced
- Onion – 1, diced
- Green beans – 100 g, chopped
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp (roast fennel)
- Olive oil – 3 tsp (roast fennel)
- Black rice – 100 g
- Short grain rice – 200 g
- Olive oil – 1 , 1/2 tablespoons (sauté the vegetables)
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon (sauté the vegetables)
- Chicken stock – 3 tablespoons (sauté the vegetables)
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Chicken stock – 1/3 cup
- Parmesan cheese – 50 g, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat over to 190º C.
- Prepay a baking tray and line with baking paper. Spray some olive oil.
- Slice the fennel into wedges and place on the baking paper.
- Mix 1tsp soy sauce and 3 tsps olive oil in a little bowl. Brush both sides of the fennel with the sauce.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the fennel is roasting, cook the rice.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Cook the onion until it’s soft. Add the mushroom, green beans, capsicums, 1tbsp soy sauce and 3 tbsps chick stock. Cook for three minutes until all vegetables are just cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and 1/3 cup chicken stock. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking tray. Arrange the roasted fennel on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180º C. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges.
I hope you enjoy the recipe, and have a wonderful weekend! xx