Tofu is a good source of protein, iron and calcium. It has a lot of health benefits. Although it doesn’t have much taste, tofu absorbs the flavours from other ingredients very well when you cook it. That’s the way to make tofu tasty.
One of my favourites is black tea infused Tofu. It can be prepared beforehand and stored in the fridge. You can use it in salad, some stir-fry dishes, grill it, or just eat it directly cold. The taste is quite mild with a light tea flavour.
You only need few ingredients to cook this marinated tofu, cinnamon bark, Star anise, bay leaves, and tea of your choice. I used black rose tea this time, which had strong rose aroma. It turned out quite well. Feel free to add some other spices you like. Some dry chilli flakes maybe if you like spicy food.
Tofu has high water content. If you have time, it would be great to press some water out of tofu. I didn’t have much time. What I did was that I scored the tofu on both sides. In this way, it will help tofu to absorb more flavours.
Here are some examples of how I use tea infused tofu in my cooking. The first one is an entrée. I diced the tofu and coriander finely. Add some sesame oil and soy sauce. Mix well and serve. You gonna love it. 🙂
Quite often, I just cut it into bite size and throw some in my green salads. A quick healthy lunch. Easy peasy. 😉
- Tofu (firm) – 1 pack, 600g
- Cinnamon bark – 1
- Bay leaves – 2
- Star anise – 2
- Black rose tea leaves – 2 tablespoons, or any black tea leaves or teabag you have.
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Brown sugar – 2 1/2 tablespoons, or rice malt syrup
- Cloves – few
- black pepper corns – few
- Wash tofu and pat dry with paper towel.
- Score the tofu or cut into the size you want.
- Boil the water in a medium size saucepan. Add tea and all other ingredients. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add tofu in the saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Marinate tofu in the sauce for 4-5 hours. It will taste better if you let it marinate overnight in the fridge.