I have been loving soft bread for the past few weeks. Just couldn’t stop baking them. So easy to make! My favourites are the one with pork floss, green onion and mayonnaise, and the sweet bread with peanut butter and black cherry jam. You can see the photos on my Instagram, here. Everyone just loved it! It was gone in few minutes. Nothing can make me happier than that.
When I was tidying up our herb garden yesterday, I found the oregano we planted few weeks back has been growing madly. I feel the urge to use some of it before any pest gets it.
When I was waiting for the dough to rise, I washed and picked the oregano leaves. At the beginning, I thought I just add some olive oil and pine nuts to make a pesto paste. Then, I saw the garlic I roasted earlier. Why not, eh? I always find it’s so much fun to improvise with what I have in the kitchen.
Then, Parmesan cheese is a must! Actually, I thought about Feta cheese first. However, I couldn’t find any in my fridge. What a disaster! Time for grocery shopping!
Anyway, the results turned out good. I hope you like it. Enjoy!
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Lukewarm water – 3/4 cup
- Instant yeast – 1/2 tablespoon
- Caster sugar – 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh oregano leaves – 20g
- Pine nuts – 10g
- Grated Parmesan cheese – 50g
- Roasted garlic – 1 bulb
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Egg – 1, to make egg wash
- Put flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in a big bowl. Mix well.
- Add lukewarm water, stir to combine. Knead the dough until soft and smooth, a little bit sticky.
- Cover the bowl and let it rise until doubled the size. About 30-40 minutes.
- Prepare a baking tray. Line with baking paper and spray some oil.
- Use a food processor to blend olive oil, oregano, roasted garlic and pine nuts.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Prepare a lightly floured workplace. Remove the dough from bowl and cut into two.
- Roll out half dough to a rectangle shape. Spread the oregano garlic mixture. Top with grated parmesan cheese. Leave some space around the edges. Roll up.
- Slice the dough in half. Pinch one end to seal.
- Twist the dough over to each other. Pinch the other end to seal.
- Do the same for the second half dough.
- Spray some olive oil and cover to rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Before baking, brush some egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!