I love cauliflower. It is probably one of my favourite vegetables. The best thing about cauliflower is that it is so easy to cook. Sometimes, I just break the head into small pieces and cook it with some butter. Once it’s cooked, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. it’s just delicious!
Today’s recipe is a simple cauliflower soup with miso paste. If you like creamy soup, you will like this one. There are many ways of making a cauliflower soup. You can make it with blue cheese if you like a strong flavour. The thickened cream or yoghurt will make it creamier. You can also cook it with potatoes or carrots.
Personally, I think cauliflower soup goes well with many different spices/herbs. I have tried coriander, parsley, paprika, and cumin seeds. I use oregano for today’s recipe.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. 🙂
Makes 2 servings.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Garlic cloves – 3, chopped
- Cauliflower – 1/2, broken into small pieces
- Potato – 1, small, chopped
- Chicken stock/vegetable stock/water – 1 1/2 cups
- Oregano – 1 tsp
- Mild Miso paste – 1 1/2 tbsps
- Freshly ground black pepper – 1 tsp
- Nutmeg – pinch
- Slivered almonds – for garnish
- Fried onion – for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
- Break the cauliflower head, and chop the small potato.
- Toss in the cauliflower and potato in the saucepan. Add chicken stock/vegetable stock/water. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down. Let it simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for few minutes.
- Add miso paste to the soup. Blend in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return and warm the soup in a saucepan, add chopped oregano, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and top with fried onion, slivered almonds and a pinch of nutmeg.