Mango has been one of my favourite fruits in summer. Lucky us, the summer is the mango season here in Australia. We like to buy mango in a tray which contains 20-25 mangoes.
I will store them in my fridge. Then, it’s time to enjoy the heavenly fruit in different ways. I would make smoothies, ice cream, desserts from mangoes. The results are always good with minimum effort.
I love mango rice. I remember I tried it for the first time in a Thai restaurant. The combination of coconut and mango flavours are beyond delicious. The texture of the glutinous rice is so lovely. I started to create a simple version of the mango rice at home.
Since it’s the mango season now. I certainly wouldn’t miss the opprotunity to make some mango rice at home. I hope you will like and enjoy this simple recipe.
- Glutinous rice – 200g
- Coconut milk – 200ml
- Caster sugar – 2 1/2 teaspoons
- salt – 3/4 teaspoons
- corn starch – a pinch
- mango – 1
- roasted sesame – optional
- Fresh mint leaves – optional
- Soak the rice in cold water over night.
- Line a bamboo steamer with muslin cloth. Spread the rice and steam for 35-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and translucent in colour.
- Once the rice is ready. Set aside to cool.
- Add 150ml coconut milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to dissolve the sugar. Add 1/2 teaspoons salt and stir to dissolve. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the rice with coconut milk in the saucepan. Stir to combine. Make sure all the rice are coated with the coconut sauce. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice or dice the mango.
- Place the mango and rice in a plate.
- Add 50ml coconut milk, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of corn starch in another small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Thicken the sauce a little bit. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the thickened sauce over the rice. Garnish with some mango dices, sesame or mint leaves. Serve immediately.