It has been hot and humid lately. I long for some light dish/snacks to cheer me up in a hot summer day.
Winter melon is commonly used for cooking in China. Although it’s a summer fruit, it’s commonly available at the end of the autumn or during the winter. I was surprised that I saw the local veggie shop was selling winter melon slices last week. Certainly, I had to get one.
Some facts about winter melon:
- It is light and healthy. It’s very low in calories and sugar but high in fiber.
- It contains potassium and vitamin A, B and C, but no cholesterol.
- It helps with weight loss and swelling reduce.
Typically, winter melon is used for making soup. I remember my mom also uses it to stirfry with pork mince. It has really light flavour (almost nothing in my opinion). The best way of cooking it is to cook with some ingredients that have stronger flavour, like pork meat. In this recipe, the cooked winter melon balls are marinated in orange juice over night. The melon balls just absorb the flavour of the juice.
- winter melon balls – 240g
- oranges – 2
- lemon – 1/8
- fresh mint leaves
- honey – 1 tablespoon
- Wash the winter melon and discard the pulp and seeds.
- Use the melon baller to make balls from the winter melon. If you don’t have a melon baller, just peel the melon and cut into cubes.
- Add some water in a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil.
- Add the melon balls and bring the water to a boil again. Cook for another minute or until the melon balls are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and rinse with cold water. Set aside and cool.
- While the cooked melon balls are cooling. Prepare the orange juice.
- Squeeze the juice from two oranges in a jar. Add the lemon juice and honey. Stir well.
- Chop the mint leaves slightly and add to the juice.
- Add the melon balls into the juice and mix well.
- Leave in the fridge over night.