The weather in Brisbane is getting warm. I start carving for salads. I have been loving black rice lately. So I thought I might put them together to have a nice light dish for lunch.
Black rice is rich in antioxidants, high in iron and fiber. I found it’s really filling and healthy. Good for my blood sugar level too.
How to cook black rice? I wash and soak the rice in the water overnight. The next morning, I cook it in my rick cooker. If you don’t have a rick cooker, you can cook 1 cup of black rice with two cups of water/stock in a deep sauce pan. Bring is to boil, reduce the heat, leave it to simmer until all the liquid is gone.
Let it cool in the pot. At lunch time, I just mix it with some fresh vegetables I have in the kitchen. Quick and easy!
- 1/2 cup cooked black rice
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 30 g baby rocket
- 1/2 capsicum – diced
- 1/2 preserved lemon (optional)
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- fresh grounded black pepper
- For the preserved lemon, remove the pulp, membrane and discard them. Rinse the rind well and pat dry with kitchen paper towel. Cut into strips.
- Dice the onion, capsicum and cut each cheery tomatoes in four.
- Put all the vegetable ingredients in a salad bowl with the black rice.
- Mix the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, paprika and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss the salad well.