Just finished a bottle of the Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution serum from Kiehl’s few days ago. I thought it might be a good idea to share my view here. One of my skin concerns has been pigmentation on my cheeks for the past few years. I don’t have acne scars, but I have dark spots and patches on my cheek. The causes? No idea, hormonal changes, UV exposures, or probably just genetic. I do use SPF products religiously every single day.
This serum is not a new product, and it has been on the market for quite a while. I purchased mine from the airport duty-free shop in early May this year. It’s a 50 ml bottle, which lasted me about 4 months. The RRP is $70 for a 30 ml bottle in Australia.
On the package, it says this corrector has “a visible impact on a broad spectrum of dark spots, including those caused by age, UV exposure or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation”. Kiehl’s AU website claims that 55% of women clinically had dark spot reduction in 2 weeks, acne scarring reduction in 4 weeks (69%), even skin tone and clarity in 8 weeks (87%). It helps to prevent dark spots and skin discolorations if you continue using it everyday.
Potent Activated C , Peony Extract (discoloration reversal), Vitamin E (antioxidant and moisturizing) and White Birch Extract (hydration).
- I used it in the morning and at night, 2-3 drops, warm on my palm and apply on my face. After 4 months daily usage, it reduced the pigmentation on my cheeks slightly, but definitely did not clear any dark spots.
- It gave me a bright and even skin tone.
- Their US website says it’s Silicone, paraben and fragrance free. However, it has a faint smell, most likely from the White Birch Extract (my guess). Personally, I found it pleasant, not overwhelming.
- The texture is runny, and the skin absorbs it pretty quickly.
- I don’t know how good it works on acne scar, since I don’t have any. I have heard it works better on acne scar than dark spots.
I have never expected this product to clear the dark spots/patches on my cheeks. I don’t think there is any skin care products on the market can do the magic yet. I was hoping it could reduce the pigmentation significantly.
Overall, it definitely evened my skin tone. The color of my dark spots/patches has become lighter after 4 months of usage. Will I use it again? Actually I have my second bottle ready. I am willing to give it one more chance and hope the pigmentation can be reduced further.