Hubby brought back some strawberries from the local fruit shop yesterday. They are so lovely. I can never resist the pink cute pretty fruit. Then, Tuesday was the Chinese Valentine’s day (Qi Xi). I totally forgot about it. Although he wouldn’t know anything about the Chinese Valentine’s day, I still think I should give him a pleasant surprise. The problem is that today is Saturday and we have a lot of plans as always. If I decide to do it, it has to be simple and quick, sweet too. Here comes the strawberry heart pie. Easy, simple, quick and lovely. It only takes about an hour to prepare and bake it (well, I have the store bought pastry). It’s not very sweet, but with soft strawberry flavor. You can serve it very a scoop of ice cream or yogurt.
- strawberry – 500g
- Sugar – 40g
- Cornstarch – 25g
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 3 sheets of pre-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- icing sugar
- Heart shape cookie cut
- Preheat the oven to 180° c.
- Mix the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice and rosewater in a mixing bowl.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry to fit in a pie tin. Trim the pastry around the edges.
- Spoon the strawberry filling evenly over the pastry.
- Use the cookie cut to cut out the second and the third pastry into heart shape and place on top of the filling and the edge of the pastry.
- Use your finger to gently press down where the pastries are overlapped.
- Beat the egg to make the egg wash and brush over the pie.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- Cool on the rack. Dust some icing sugar and serve with your favorite ice cream.